May 1st is Pyjamarama day - a day when families across the country can join in a festival of story-filled fun at home! There are lots of activities for children to take part in – the only requirement is that they are done in pyjamas!
The BookTrust website https://www.booktrust.org.uk/books-and-reading/have-some-fun/ is full of fun and engaging activities and links for the day: you can listen to authors read chapters of stories; follow the guides to learn how to be an illustrator or complete some of the downloadable activities.
The programme of online activities for Pyjamarama Day can be found at: https://www.booktrust.org.uk/books-and-reading/have-some-fun/pyjamarama/pyjamarama-festival/
Here are some other optional activities that you might want to do at home either on the day or some other time to enjoy reading together:
1. Create a reading den to relax and read in.
2. Play book bingo- Pick 10 words and write these on a grid. When you read that word in your text, tick it off on your grid. Who can tick all words off the quickest or get the most ticks in a set amount of time?
3. Write a short story- can you tell a story in 50 words? 20 words? 10 words?
4. Create a story based on you- maybe you have superpowers or could time travel?
5. Put on a show- perform a story or a poem!
6. Retell a story in pictures.
7. Create your favourite book character using a potato!